What’s on in Almeria?
The ALBC Club (the Almeria bowls Club) is based at the Los Gallardos Camping site. There is a carpet bowling area and players participate there on a Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday each week.
During the winter months (October-March) several competitions organised and they feature teams from all over Spain and even the UK. Your contact is Shirley, telephone number 679 970 399
Also the Indalo Lawn Bowling Club – contact: Toni on 950 468 165 or 647 703 393
- Cabrera Lawn Bowling Club – contact: Lynne Hughes-Jones 617 830 660
- Mojacar Bowls Club behind Marina Mar hotel) – contact: Verna 610 838 644
This sport also takes place at the Los Gallardos camping complex every other Saturday during the football season (September-April) and at the local Leisure Centre in San Juan de los Terreros during the normal football season (September-May) between 10am and 12 noon. Men, woman, boys and girls of all ages can participate.
The Mojacar Veterans club hold training sessions on a Wednesday evening between 7pm and 9pm. You have to be over 35 years o age to take part (or sign up), and your contact is Daniel on 637 064 651
The Cazadores de Turre Cricket club wants more members of all ages and experience. Contact Sam Smith on 663 132 487 or Derek Larkins on 634 361 941 for further details regarding the small red ball game.
There are several golf societies operating in the area, the details of which are:
- Badgers Society, Mojacar (Wednesday & Saturday) – contacts: Mike Daily 664 876 995 & Andy Mucha 634 333 481
- Boxers Society, Albox – contact: email@example.com
- Forum Society (local) – contact: Phil Elam 666 847 840
- Marina Society (local) – contact: 950 162 727 or 600 353 670
- Valle del Este Society (Tuesday, Thursday, Sunday) – contact: Alan Townsend 690 090 982
- Alice’s Sports Bar Society in Turre (rounds every Thursday) – contact Derek 620 876 485
Special offers: at La Envia Golf, Almeria
Manager Robert Magilton of the superb La Evia golf course near Almeria, has some exceptionally fine offers available for would-be golfers between 20 June and 18 September.
(a) Reduced price for two people plus a buggy for 18 holes for a total cost of 70 euros
(b) Unlimited golf for two players for as little as 50 euros per day…It’s got to be worth a try!
To book your tee-off time on this wonderful course, please telephone 950 559 646 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
This is something completely new – it’s a game between mini-golf and normal golf! Invented by Swede Ralf Karlsson,, the course comprises a series of small bunkers, water obstacles and sections of rough. Your target to complete the course is 38 shots – it’s fun. To join in the fun at Golf Delux in Torre Pacheco near Los Alcazares, Murcia, you can telephone 968 584 221 or visit the website: http://www.golfdelux.eu/
Also, at Alice’s Sports Bar, there is a superb golf simulator on which you can try all your drives, pitches and putting on some of the finest course around the world. Best to ruing and book your space on the first tee (tel. No. 620 876 485).
There are three excellent venues to try out you skills:
- Albox Club de Tennis (Thursday and Sunday mornings) – contact: Sue on 950 064 369
- Club de Tennis y Padel indalo – contact numbers: 608 250 607 or 950 592 877
- Tennis and Padel Tennis (Sierra Club, Desert Springs Golf Complex) – contact: 687 599 115
- The Mojacar Sailing Club holds meetings/get-togethers in respect of sailing the ‘high seas’ at Playa Cantal near the Trufi Bar on Mojacar Playa every Sunday afternoon. If you’re interested, contact George on 950 475 428 for crewing or social membership.
- The Santa Irene Sailing club meets on a Sunday at 10.30am at the boat park on the New Marina, Garrucha. Contact Ian on 671 474 385 for further details.
NB: Also there is the Albox sub-aqua club, which meets on a Wednesday at 8pm at the town’s Traveller’s Inn on the Taberno Road.
- Fitness and Martial Arts Girasol, Albox (including Pilates, children’s karate Tai-Chi and gymnastics) – contact number is 639 089 170
- Fitness with Pam (aerobatics including a Jane Fonda workout routine at various locations) – contact: 639 465 631
- Garrucha Table Club – contact Barry on 677 174 430.
- Indigo Gym, Mojacar (various activities within) – contact: 950 45 403
- Keep Fit Club at Oliver’s Bar, Albox (Tuesday & Thursdays) – contact: 950 930 988
- Mojacar Taekwondo (ages from 5 upwards) – contact: Serge on 646 844 708
Tony Matthews (sports correspondent for Spectrum Radio/Soltimes) would be your question master if you require or would like to stage a quiz at your chosen/selected venue. Tony has raised over 100,000 euros in 13 years for various charities, including PAWS, MACS and the Royal British Legion. He can be contacted on 634 391 414 or via Facebook and will travel up to a 30km radius from Turre. The quizzes can be on any subject – including general knowledge, food and drink, geography, history, music, current affairs, literature and sport, as well as a picture round.