Egyptian lawyer files for compensation from Ramos

The outrage over Mohammad Salah’s injury in the Champions League final on Saturday night took another twist with an Egyptian lawyer filing a €1 billion lawsuit against Sergio Ramos, the Real Madrid captain, who brought him down.

Salah landed heavily on his left shoulder after grappling with Ramos during the Kiev showpiece and suffered ligament damage around the joint, which placed his World Cup participation in doubt.

According to a report in Goal.com, lawyer Bassem Wahba announced in an Egyptian television channel Sada El-Balad that he had filed a complaint to Fifa and accused Ramos of a deliberate act and inflicting “physical and psychological harm” upon a nation and its biggest sports icon.

“Ramos intentionally injured Mo Salah and should be punished about his actions,” he claimed. “I’ve filed a lawsuit and a complaint to Fifa.

“I’ll ask for compensation, which could exceed €1 billion, for the physical and psychological harm that Ramos gave Salah and the Egyptian people.”

In the apparently unlikely event of winning any compensation, the lawyer has pledged to donate to the state’s Long Live Egypt Fund.

Read More...  Alan, Alan, Alan... Wonder-kid due to sign for Real Madrid

Meanwhile, a petition on the Change.org website asking Uefa and Fifa to take action against Ramos for the challenge on Salah has passed 300,000 signatories.

Egypt’s national team’s doctor had earlier said he was optimistic that Salah could play in the World Cup. “Through follow ups on the phone with the national team’s delegation in Italy…the officials at Liverpool said an X-ray on Salah’s shoulder showed the injury to be in the ligaments,” the Egyptian Football Association said on Twitter.

The national team’s doctor, Mohammad Abou Al Ela “expressed his optimism that Salah would make it for the World Cup matches according to this diagnosis”, the association said.

The Egyptian Minister Youth and Sports Khaled Abd Elaziz also expressed optimism. “Mohammad Salah, god willing, will be on the national team’s final list for the World Cup, which is to be announced on June 4,” Abd Elaziz said on Facebook.